Thursday, November 13, 2008

Technique Check - Roasting Bell Peppers

Between our garden and our CSA, Iv and I found ourselves overrun by more peppers than we could possibly use before they went bad. I opted to store them by roasting them, then wrapping them up in freezer bags and storing them like high-falutin' acorns.



This seemed like an apt opportunity to check the Veganomicon's method for roasting bell peppers (p. 33). It's easy enough. Preheat the oven. While you're doing that, cut the peppers in half, and seed them. Then put them on a baking sheet, coat lightly with oil, and pop them in the oven.


Terry and Isa suggest leaving them in the oven for 20-25 minutes, but at least in our electric oven, that wasn't quite long enough to get the nice charred skin. Still, they wound up soft and flavorful, and we now have a colorful collection of peppers in the freezer to see us through winter.

1 comment:

ismarah said...

I buy cheapo bell peppers in the supermarket, clean and chop, and then store in the freezer in a bag, raw.
I found that I didn't use them enough from fresh and started buying them ready-made frozen, but doing your own is both better and cheaper.
Like the blog, but find that the recipes scare me in their substitutional madness - get downright risky for people like me.